Exam board: AQA
Course code/specification number: 4202
Level of qualification: GCSE
What will students learn about?
Students are required to work in a range of areas of Fine Art. They may explore overlapping areas and combinations of areas such as: Painting and drawing; Mixed media, including collage and assemblage; Sculpture; Printmaking (relief, intaglio, screen processes and lithography); and Photography.
What can students progress on to after completing this course?
A level Photography
AS/A level Art and Design Graphic Design
A level Fine Art
Art and Design Level 2/Level 3
Art and Design (Fashion) Level 3
What grades can students access?
What skills will students develop and demonstrate?
Students will be expected to demonstrate skills and techniques in the context of their chosen area(s) of study within Fine Art:
- making appropriate use of colour, line, tone, texture, shape and form
- using different approaches to recording images, such as, observation, analysis, expression and imagination
- showing in their work an understanding of the conventions of representational and abstract/ non-representational imagery and genres
- investigating different ways of working, as appropriate to their chosen area(s) of study within Fine Art
- providing evidence of an understanding of spatial qualities, composition, rhythm, scale and structure
- providing evidence of the use of safe working practices.
How will students’ learning be assessed?
Component 1: Portfolio
A sustained project (60%)
Externally set assignment (40%)