Exam board: Edexcel
Course code/specification number: 9-1
Level of qualification: GCSE
What will students learn about?
Students will be able to use and apply standard mathematical techniques as well as reason, interpret and communi- cate mathematically. In addition, stu- dents will be able to solve problems within mathematics and in other con- texts with a focus on problems solving skills.
What grades can students access?
Higher Tier: Grade 4 to Grade 9
Foundation Tier: Grade 1 to Grade 5
What can students progress on to after completing this course?
Students that get a GCSE in 9-1 maths will be prepared to take on further maths after secondary school such as A-Level maths. The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications runs an excellent website called Maths Careers which can be found at www.mathscareers.org.uk
What skills will students develop and demonstrate?
- Accurately recall facts, terminology and definitions.
- Use and interpret notation correctly
- Accurately carry out routine procedures or set tasks requiring multi-step solutions.
- Make deductions, inferences and draw conclusions from mathe- matical information.
- Construct chains of reasoning to achieve a given result.
- Interpret and communicate information accurately.
- Assess the validity of an argument and critically evaluate a given way of presenting information.
- Translate problems in mathematical or non-mathematical contexts into a process or a series of mathematical processes.
- Interpret results in the context of the given problem.
- Evaluate solutions to identify how they may have been affected by assumptions made.
How will students’ learning be assessed?
Students will take a variety of formative and summative assessments throughout Key Stage 4. All of our students will sit mock and previously sat GCSE papers throughout the year to track their progress.