Homework Club is held in the Study Zone everyday:
Monday 3:00 - 4:00 pm
Tuesday 3:00 - 4:00 pm
Thursday 3:00 - 4:00 pm
Friday 3:00 - 4:00 pm
All students are welcome to come along and complete their homework in a quiet location before going home!
Homework at Burnt Mill Academy
At Burnt Mill Academy we believe homework has a valuable role in supporting the student in their academic journey. Regular homework helps students develop key skills and provides excellent opportunities:
- Confidence and motivation needed to study effectively on their own. This is vital given the importance for students in the future of lifelong learning and adaptability.
- Consolidating and reinforcing knowledge and understanding developed at school.
- Managing particular demands, such as GCSE revision and exam preparation
It is therefore the school’s policy that regular homework should be set inline with the students’ key stage.
- Key stage 3 (years 7 – 9) will be set only by Maths, English, Science, History, Geography and Languages with each setting around half an hour per week.
- Key stage 4 (year 10 – 11) all subjects studied for GCSE will set around one hour per week
The types of homework will vary. Departments will plan for homework as part of schemes of work and ensure that suitable tasks are available for all learners. Examples of types of homework that could be set are:
- Repetition and practice
- Practice exam questions
Homework set will be recorded in planners by students at the beginning of the lesson. This should be clearly written so students can easily follow what is expected of them. All students are expected to have their planner with them every day for this purpose.
Support Available to Students
There is a variety of support available to student to support them complete their homework.
- Students with additional needs can attend homework club every night in N1. This is supported by Co-educators who are able to help the students complete their work to an appropriate standard.
- Any student can attend homework club in the study zone. Again, this is staffed by teaching assistants who are able to help the students complete their work to an appropriate standard.
- Students do not need to book into these clubs and as such they can just turn up as they require them. They both run from 3pm to 4pm.
- If any student does not complete their homework by the allotted lesson they will be issued with a compulsory homework club for the next day. If a student hands in their homework late they must still attend compulsory homework club on the day set. This compulsory homework club runs from 3pm to 3.45pm in ICT 2. A member of our House team is available here every night to support the students completing their homework.
Burnt Mill Homework Policy