Exam board: Edexcel
Course code/specification number: 4206
Level of qualification: Level 2
What will students learn about?
Students will learn to design products for a customer, taking into account the needs of the customer.
Students will develop knowledge of a range of materials including wood, metal and plastic. They will develop their drawing skills and use CAD to present their design ideas.
Students will investigate alternative solutions to problems and use model making and computer simulations to test their ideas and then evaluate their ideas using a specification and user group feedback.
Pupils will learn how to use a range of hand and power tools including CAM (laser cutter, 3D printer) to create products. They will also work with a range of metals, plastics and woods to create fully functioning products.
What skills will students develop and demonstrate?
The Edexcel GCSE in Design and Technology: Resistant Materials Technology qualification enables students to:
- Actively engage in design and technology
- Make decisions, consider sustainability and combine skills with knowledge and understanding in order to design and make quality products
- Explore ways in which aesthetic, technical, economic, environmental, ethical and social dimensions interact to shape designing and making
- Analyse existing products and produce practical solutions to needs, wants and opportunities, recognising their impact on quality of life.
- Understand that designing and making reflect and influence cultures and societies, and that products have an impact on lifestyle.
- Develop skills of creativity and critical analysis
How will students learning be assessed?
Unit 1: Creative Design and
Practical coursework portfolio (60%) Examples of coursework tasks include; Storage, Lighting Furniture Leisure and Outdoors
Unit 2 Knowledge & Understanding of Resistant Materials Technology
Examination paper (1.5hrs) (40%)
What grades can students access?
What can students progress on to after completing this course?
AS/A level Resistant Materials Technology
AS/A level Product Design
For further information please contact:
Miss. D. Walsh Assistant Head ADT: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. N. Lyson Subject teacher: email@example.com