Exam board: Edexcel
Course code/specification number: 9-1
Level of qualification: GCSE
What will students learn about?
Students will be able to use and apply standard mathematical techniques as well as reason, interpret and communi- cate mathematically. In addition, stu- dents will be able to solve problems within mathematics and in other con- texts with a focus on problems solving skills.
What grades can students access?
Higher Tier: Grade 4 to Grade 9
Foundation Tier: Grade 1 to Grade 5
What can students progress on to after completing this course?
Students that get a GCSE in 9-1 maths will be prepared to take on further maths after secondary school such as A-Level maths. The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications runs an excellent website called Maths Careers which can be found at www.mathscareers.org.uk
What skills will students develop and demonstrate?
- Accurately recall facts, terminology and definitions.
- Use and interpret notation correctly
- Accurately carry out routine procedures or set tasks requiring multi-step solutions.
- Make deductions, inferences and draw conclusions from mathe- matical information.
- Construct chains of reasoning to achieve a given result.
- Interpret and communicate information accurately.
- Assess the validity of an argument and critically evaluate a given way of presenting information.
- Translate problems in mathematical or non-mathematical contexts into a process or a series of mathematical processes.
- Interpret results in the context of the given problem.
- Evaluate solutions to identify how they may have been affected by assumptions made.
How will students’ learning be assessed?
Students will take a variety of formative and summative assessments throughout Key Stage 4. All of our students will sit mock and previously sat GCSE papers throughout the year to track their progress.
For further information please contact:
Mr. D. Schuyler Assistant Head: email@example.com
Mr. E. Gallagher Subject Leader : firstname.lastname@example.org